Instructors

***We copy/pasted your bios for this site, but you might consider re-writing to include student-centered language. For instance: “Hi, I’m [name], your instructor for [course]. In addition to teaching at Guttman, I [other professional things]. I understand that you have a life outside of this course; I do too. Outside of work, I enjoy [a hobby, to connect with students].” <– This is an example, decide for yourself what tone to establish with students.

Tom Philipose is a Lecturer at Guttman where he teaches Writing courses in the First-Year Experience program. He has taught at multiple CUNYs and private universities. He was also a Writing Center director for over 15 years. He has an MFA in Fiction from Brown University and a BA in Psychology from SUNY Buffalo.

Thomas Philipose
(Composition/House Leader)
Douglas Medina
(Ethnographies of Work)

Douglas A. Medina joins Guttman as Instructor of Political Science. He is currently a Ph.D. candidate in the Political Science Program at the CUNY Graduate Center. Prof. Medina holds an M.A. in Liberal Studies from The New School and an M.Phil. in Political Science from the CUNY Graduate Center. His research is focused on the political economy of higher education and the influence of race and class politics – as well as mental health – on approaches to solving poverty and inequality. Prof. Medina has over 20 years of experience in higher education, ranging from adjunct instructor of political science to his most recent administrative position as Associate Director of the Undergraduate Honors Program at Baruch College, CUNY. Prof. Medina has also trained over 600 people in Mental Health First Aid, both at CUNY colleges and in communities throughout New York City.

Lydia Tang
(Statistics)